Enjoy this recipe from Chef Alan Yu for some braised venison shank in hoisin sauce.
4 pcs Hind shank
2 pcs Cinammon sticks
6 pcs Bay leaves
2 tbsp Coriander seeds
150g Hoisin sauce
3 pcs Cloves
3 pcs Star Anise
5 tbsp Sichuan peppercorn
1 tbsp Five spicy powder
1 tbsp Fennel seeds
Salt & pepper
2 Fingers of fresh ginger
100g Chinese Shoaxing wine (or so called Chinese yellow wine)
85g Chinese Crystalized sugar (or so called Rock sugar, can be substituted regular sugar)
1. First, prepare the Sachet bag, wrap all the dry ingredients in a cheese cloth.
2. In a large enough Pan add the about 3 1/2 liters of water, add rest of wet ingredients along the Sachet bag bring to a boil, adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.
3. Place the Venison Shank into the pan, turn the heat to low cover and cook until the the meat falls off the bone,then strain it out keep the stock. Chill the shank in the stock over night.
4. Pulls the meat, slice thin, line up to the plate, then garnish with Scallions or parsley leaves. 5. Heat up the stock, adjust the seasoning with sesame oil and soy sauce. Salt n pepper.
6. Pour the sauce into the slice meat and serve.
Served here with the Sautéed Tri-Tip Cubes - see recipe here.